Advocacy and Casework
About the Service
For many families and individuals bereaved and injured by the conflict, truth, justice & acknowledgement is a vital part of recovering health and wellbeing.
In keeping with WAVE's holistic ethos, we provide support to families with outstanding issues assisting them practically & emotionally throughout this process.
WAVE believes that the provision of advocacy and support to families engaging in statutory processes is vital.
How we can help
We assist families & individuals by providing them with advice & guidance about the different statutory methods by which they can seek information about their bereavement or injury. Some cases can be complex, involving sensitive information & difficult legal issues. We will:
- Communicate with people in plain language by telephone, in writing and on a face to face basis regarding the work required as cases progress
- Ensure that you are fully aware of the likely outcomes, timescales and risks involved
- Assist in responding to correspondence or reports received from other bodies and organisations
- Prepare for meetings relevant to your case & accompany you to any meetings to advocate on your behalf with staff & investigators involved in the case
- Help you articulate the questions you want to ask, and work with you to get comprehensive answers
WAVE recognises that institutions such as PONI , PSNI and any bodies that may replace them are important in Northern Ireland as mechanisms for obtaining truth and accountability. Our role is that of a ‘critical friend’, vocalising your concerns and helping to ensure you do receive the ‘maximum permissible disclosure’ promised by the bodies.
We will help you obtain as much information as possible, as a means of challenging unfounded rumours or misinformation about your bereavement or injury, examine any available documentary evidence and ensure that the review or investigation that is conducted keeps the victim and the wishes of the victims family as its focus.
How can I access the service?
Our Advocacy & Casework Service is based in Belfast. You can contact us on 0289077 9922. Alternatively contact your local WAVE office and ask to be referred through to the service.
We can then make arrangements to see you at the local WAVE centre. If you are unable to travel to the centre for reasons of disability or caring responsibilities we can usually arrange a home appointment.
Our service is free, confidential & impartial.