About the Service
When an individual experiences grief and the effects of trauma, it can be difficult to engage in counselling if they have immediate financial or other concerns. Following feedback from our Outreach Staff WAVE recognised that unless pressing issues were sorted for clients, these would serve as obstacles to successfully engaging in counselling therapy.
Immediate short term problems /issues needed to be sorted before they could address longer term issues stemming from trauma and grief. Many members were reluctant to use other advice centres due to issues around trust.
WAVE’s Welfare Advice Service complements our other services and helps our members to address urgent and pressing issues. The welfare service also aims to maximise household income.
Aims of WAVE Welfare Service
The aim of WAVE welfare service is twofold:
To provide free, impartial, confidential advice and information by an adviser who has knowledge and experience of the effects of grief & trauma on an individual.
To identify social policy issues which may affect our client group and lobby for change.
Advice work & Advocacy
Provision of information, advice & assistance on all welfare advice issues including:
- Social Security benefits
- benefit checks and calculations
- completion of benefit forms
- family’ legal
- community care
We can help you to review or appeal social security decisions; help you to prepare your case and we may be able to represent you at an appeal
We also provide talks/information workshops on aspects of welfare reform/social security benefits for our own members and for other victims/survivors groups.
Social Policy work
We report on issues or changes which may have an effect on victims/survivors and lobby for change by:
- Raising issues with relevant bodies & government to effect change
- Reporting issues to Advice NI
- Providing feedback to relevant government Consultations
Skills and experience to help you
All Advisers have completed:
- Accredited Adviser Training Programme with CAB or LAW Centre NI
- Successfully completed Tribunal Representation Course
- Accredited course in Grief & Trauma & the Helping Relationship
- Additional courses in the field of Advocacy & Advice
- Many years’ experience in the field of advice and information within Citizens Advice Bureau or Advice NI
WAVE is a member of Advice NI and the Law Centre NI.